Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

I am thankful for squinty-eyed smiles.



I am thankful for watching my kids grow each day. 




Justus' mom came to pick him up the other day, and we were chatting about her current pregnancy.  She's due right around Christmas, which is actually kind of funny, because Brad, my husband, and her son Tyler have the same birthday, and her new baby is due around Christmas and Austin's birthday is December 26.  So she can't get away from us even if she wants to.  HA! 

Anyway, that was a strange confusing rant.  I asked her how all of the testing for the baby came back, and she said it all came back as normal.  So I joked and said that I guess Kamdyn wasn't getting a little Downs buddy.  It kind of got me thinking. 

Those first few weeks after Kamdyn was born, were hard emotionally.  Having to readjust some of the ideas I had, learning to accept the change.  Fearing that my baby might struggle in any way.  I certainly don't want anyone to have those difficult feelings of being worried for their baby or being afraid, but I think that the outcome overcomes any of those feelings.  I never thought I would say this, but I think I can truly say that I wouldn't change anything.  I wouldn't change the struggles with Kamdyn's heart, because it taught me more about God, about how He loves my children a million times more than I ever could.  It taught me about the power of prayer and the goodness of people. 




And I wouldn't change Down syndrome, because when you get down to it, Down syndrome is part of Kamdyn.  It's not who she is, but it is part of her.  She wouldn't be the same without it, and I wouldn't change one thing about her.  She is perfect, completely, through and through, 100% perfect.

Last night, Brad asked, "Can you believe that we get to have her?"  I really can't put into words how grateful, thankful, ecstatic we are that she is ours.  She really is that amazing. 

My sister in law said, "Anyone can have a spoiled brat and a clumsy kid, but not everyone gets to have this experience that you are having."  There is something we can learn from any of our children, whether spoiled brat, clumsy kid, or Down syndrome.  When you become a mother, you learn about love, patience, meekness, and gentleness all over again.  It all has new meaning, new value, new purpose.  But this experience with Kamdyn has changed us.  It has made us grow and learn things that nothing else could have taught us.  There are things about the future that scare me, but mostly I just look forward to living, loving, and growing.

And that I am thankful for.   Happy Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

  1. "Can you believe that we get to have her?" -this is exactly how I feel about my Lily! SO blessed and honored to be her Mama. You write so beautifully, I love coming here to read:)

    ReplyDelete