I wish I had taken a picture of hers, but I never did. Kamdyn's OT put it on her stomach and back. Her stomach looked like the baby on the left:

picture from Milestone Mom
More information on the purpose and advantages of kinesio taping can be found at Pedia Staff and Milestone Mom
I can't find a picture of what it looked like on her back, but it was a small round circle shaped piece with anchors on each side to give her the extra back support as well.
It certainly wasn't an instant fix, as you can see from her chill, floppy, lounging position in this picture:

But I definitely noticed a difference, especially after the first couple of times. The taping gave her muscles a little wake-up call, if you will. Her PT, who is actually not much of a believer in it, even commented that she noticed a difference. I think the improvement was a combination of her body being at a point where it was ready, as well as a little extra help from the tape.
Kamdyn was taped on a Monday, and it would stay on until Thursday or Friday, when it started to fall off on its own. She had the weekend tape-free, and she was taped again on Monday.
Over the next two months, she made improvements, and she was sitting independently about 3 months later.
My only warning is not to pull off the tape if it is not loose and starting to come off on it's own. If it's been on for a week, and you are ready to take it off, put your baby in the bath and let the tape soak and become loose. If you try to take it off, when it's not ready, it can leave a pretty nasty rash.
Is it okay in babies to use kinesio tape immediately? Or there's a kind of tape that for babies only? Because the skin of the babies are sensitive and I hope it wouldn't affect their skins. Thanks for posting this.
ReplyDeleteMedical Strapping Tape