Thursday, January 13, 2011

little nuggets of motherhood

I wrote this post months ago.  When I was still holding on to the last days of a daily nap time.  A nap time where the house was still and calm.  I could shower, or eat lunch, or clean, do laundry, or just put my feet up.  Since then, nap time has become "quiet time".  As you read, keep in my mind that the little girl who gave this nugget is the same girl who will get up in the morning and make every one's bed, or come to me beaming and proud after she has cleaned the play room by herself as a surprise.  She has her moments, but she is a sweet, caring, bubbly princess, who will put her arms arms around our neck and say, "You're so sweet."  So with that said......................................

Being a mother.  It's the most amazing thing in the world, but sometimes it's, well, it's like this....


I was sitting at the computer checking my email while the kids were all laying down for a nap.  In the quiet, Madison slowly tip toes up behind me (she likes to do that when she sneaks out of bed, because she knows that if I see her smiling face, I might not rush her back to bed).  She sweetly smiled and said, "Will you lay with me?" 

After we took her pacifier shortly after she turned two, we layed with her every night until she fought sleep so fiercely that she would lay, toss, turn, and fight for over an hour.  Since those days are long gone, I thought it would be nice to snuggle up and cuddle and maybe even catch a wink myself. 

No sooner did I lay down that she wanted to chat.  So  I quietly told her that we were going to rest and not talk.  In no time, she started up again, so I told her again that we were going to take a nap.  Because I know my girl, and she would talk all day.  When she got pouty, I tickled her to get a laugh.  I got a laugh, but the little diva attitude was still there.  And this is where my little nugget happened.  My sweet, little princess, reared her head back and head butted me right in the nose.  Have you ever been head butted in the nose?  It hurts.  Eyes squinting, watering, while feeling for blood kind of hurt. 

When I came back......





I have since given up on the nap idea for her.  We still do a short quiet time just to have time to rest quietly while reading books or playing in her bed.  Nap time was a good old friend while it lasted.  It just goes to show you that life is always changing and evolving.  With each new phase comes a  renewed perspective, different experiences.  And with new challenges, new lessons and growth.  I'm learning to embrace change and go with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment