Monday, January 17, 2011

nuggets of motherhood

A couple of little nuggets happened today.  First of all, we moved my 4 year old from a 5 point harness car seat to a big kid booster seat.  What?  How could this happen?  Wasn't it yesterday that we fumbled the restraints of a blue Winnie the Pooh Car seat at the hospital?  We pulled her little froggy legs up through the harness, and then realized, oops, that's so not right.  We did get her into that car seat eventually and headed away from the hospital in our little two door puddle jumper.  Now, look at us.  Our little baby is in a big kid booster seat.  These rights of passage and growing up things are so bitter sweet.  As you know, I have a hard time with change, whether it's rearranging furniture or getting a new car seat. 

This whole growing up thing is what it's all about, though.  Raising this person, who will find God's path for her life and change and impact the world while she's at it.  That's what it's all about, but I have to leave behind my little baby to get there.  I guess that's why we have all of these little rights of passage along the way.  They make it a little easier to keep moving forward.


But we still have tea parties and pretend picnics.





My other nugget, I wish I could say was a one time fluke, but I've done it before, so I don't really know how to explain it.  Our town has 2 super WalMarts.  In true change-rejecting fashion, I always go to the same one.  Brad dropped Austin and I off at the door, since the girls were asleep in the car and Austin needed to be changed (which is a whole different subject.  will this boy ever be potty trained?).  Nowadays, when I walk into a store, I've got my game face on and an in-and-out mentality.  There's only an allotted amount of time with kids, and if I don't want to be standing in the check out line handling a major melt down, I'd better hurry.

We b-lined for the giant blue restroom sign and went in the first door.  I opened my bag, got out my diaper duty supplies, and I was getting ready to lay Austin on the plastic, white changing table.  Just then, I see a figure out of the corner of my eye, and I hear a deep, low giggle.  When I look up, there's a man standing next to me.  As I'm fumbling and scurrying to pack up, another man walks in.  This man, however, didn't mind at all that a lady was in the men's room, because he went right to business.  There's so many things I could blame this on:  carelessness, hurrying, uh stupidity.  But I think I'll claim loss of brain cells due to having children.

 Go on and feel better about yourself.  That's what I'm here for : ) 


Kelle Hampton is still doing her thing over here at Enjoying the Small Things.  Check out the video she put together to raise money for the National Down Syndrome Society and help create a culture that embraces and celebrates all children with differences.  Children like our girl.



Patti is still doing her thing over here at A Perfect Lily.  She's been raising money for two orphans with Down syndrome.  We're still praying for little Olga, who is almost at the age of being sent to a mental institution.  But Patti's burdened heart was able to spread enough awareness so that a family has come forward to adopt the other orphan, Kareen.  Check out their amazing story here.  Way to go Patti.  What a perfect example of what a burdend heart can accomplish and how powerful prayer truly is.

No comments:

Post a Comment