Thursday, October 6, 2011

31 for 21, Day 7. 9 out of 10 abortion rate

I told Kamdyn that it has been reported that around 90% of pregnant mothers who received a diagnosis of Down syndrome will choose abortion, and she said:



I said, "That's right.  90%.  9 out of 10.  So she said,




So we're raising our voices................................



...............................and telling people much of the information that pregnant mothers are given is outdated, pessimistic, and sometimes inacurate.  The doctors who are delivering this news may have learned about Down syndrome years ago, when substantial strides and an abundance of information and  awareness has developed in the recent years.  Many doctors have little to no experience with individuals with Down syndrome.  The first pediatrician's office Kamdyn went to had only a hand-full of children with Down syndrome in the practice.  The pediatrician's office we are at now, and love, has no more than 5 patients with Down syndrome.  Just because someone is a doctor does not make them an expert on all things medical.  I have heard so many stories about an OB-GYN delivering unpleasant news about a Down syndrome diagnosis.  I worked at an OB-GYN's office all through my high school and college years.  I loved the doctor's that I worked for, but they spend their days knee high in you-know-what and delivering babies.  They are not experts on Down syndrome.  So please, people, get all the information from a qualified person.

Here's a great website for expectant moms: http://downsyndromepregnancy.org/

There are Down syndrome Clinics, such as the one at Children's Hosptial of Boston or Kennedy Krieger

Send Dr. Brian Skotko a message.  He is a doctor at the Children's Hospital of Boston Down syndrome clinic and his sister has Down syndrome.

Go to the Baby Center Down syndrome group and ask actual moms who have a child with Down syndrome.



2 comments:

  1. Well I think we have the answer to that problem right here....just show expectant mothers those pictures! She. Is. So. Cute!

    ReplyDelete