Friday, November 4, 2011

If you wish to be a writer; write! ~Epictetus

On November 1st, I sat at my computer, checking my email, facebook, and such.  I had such an urge to hop on blogger and type a blog up.  It wouldn't have been anything profound, but it felt weird to not write one.  I resisted the urge, because I definitely needed a break.  Not too much of a break, but a break, nonetheless. 

That urge to write made me aware of one thing: I love to write.  I know I'm not the best.  I know my sentences run-on or get jumbled sometimes, but I still love to write.  Then, I thought back through the years and how I never groaned at a writing assignment in high school or college.  I didn't slink down in my chair and roll my eyes in teenage angst.  I never put it off until the last minute.  I worked at it.  I would write and re-write, just like they said I should.  I enjoyed the process.  I appreciated the end result of my words being on paper.  It is fulfilling.  That is one of the reasons I love this little blog. 
The act of putting pen to paper encourages pause for thought, this in turn makes us think more deeply about life, which helps us regain our equilibrium. 
~Norbet Platt

I find this to be true very often.  Writing  helps me figure out how I feel about a subject.  It allows me to have the opportunity to regain my equilibrium, taking me back to my core, to what I know. 

Even if I only write about bowling:


Waiting for the ball to come out of the magic hole was spell-binding.  Surprisingly, nobody smashed their finger or dropped a ball on their foot.

After this video, I'm not sure that didn't happen:


They just cracked me up.  From the flat-footed, awkward, bowling-shoe walk to the oops and dropping the ball, I just had to laugh.  What you don't see is Austin taking a few steps passed the dreaded black line and almost falling on his butt before he retreats back to safety.  Live an learn, I guess.







And a few homeschooling things we have been working on:

Lots of putting numbers in order, because 6 can often be confused for 9 and that pesky number 7 is so hard to remember.


And anything else where we are looking at a number and saying what it is.


Madison learned her letters and the sounds when she was at 3 year old Preschool when I was working and pregnant with Kamdyn.  In that area, I feel like I have it pretty easy.  She is reading 3 letter words right now, and I don't think she'll have any problem as we move forward.  The numbers, however, are a different story.  She had not done much with numbers up until this year, so numbers are a constant review right now, and I am just trying to find any way to drill them.

Madison is doing great with school.  It makes it easy on me that she loves school and wants to learn.

And that ends my hodge-podge post this turned out to be.  Have a happy weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I must say that I am glad you write. Yours was one of the first blogs I started reading after my daughter was born in January. It is beautiful and has moved me on many occasions. So thank you for writing.

    ReplyDelete