The NDSS has a campaign called the "My Great Story" campaign. They make it possible for everyone to share their great story. You don't need to have a blog. Just go share your story. You don't have to be a parent of a child with Down syndrome. Tell how someone with Down syndrome has impacted your life.
Let's hear your "My Great Story".
I posted this before, but here it is again:
| My Great Story: Stories of the Month This month we are featuring two stories from the 3/21: World Down Syndrome Day section of the My Great Story campaign. To share your own story visit www.ndss.org/stories and select the 3/21: World Down Syndrome Day section. |
| World Down Syndrome Day 2011 Tricia Pennsylvania When my daughter, Kamdyn, was born on April 27, 2010, the diagnosis of Down syndrome shook me to my core. I felt that every dream that I had for her life and mine were snatched away. At that time, I had never even heard of World Down Syndrome Day, and even if I did, I certainly would not have seen it as a day to celebrate. I loved Kamdyn, but I hated Down syndrome. I felt like it had taken away a part of my daughter. As the weeks went on, I began to see that Kamdyn was not just a baby with Down syndrome. She was my baby. She was an amazing being that I had the privilege to know and love and nurture. I began to see that Down syndrome was just a part of her. I still wished I could take that part away, but I knew it was impossible. Then, months passed. Kamdyn smiled and belly-laughed. She rolled over and sat up. And I knew that she was everything that she was always meant to be from the moment she was conceived, and I loved her, all of her, and Down syndrome is a part of her. To take any part of her away, would be to change who she is. She is beautiful. She is joy. So when March 21, 2011 came, I was ready to celebrate. We took a family trip to Hershey's Chocolate World, and then we ate at the Shady Maple in Lancaster, which is about the best buffet around. I look forward to another great celebration this year, as well. Now go tell your story! |

No comments:
Post a Comment