Thursday, July 26, 2012

Can a person with Down syndrome be beautiful?

Down syndrome.  It's called a defect, chromosomal error, an abnormality, an anomaly. 

But I call it a miracle. 

Despite chromosomal abnormalities being the most common cause of miscarriage in the first trimester........................

Despite the anomaly of an extra 21st chromosome and how it even happens........................

Despite the odds..........................

These kids are here. 

They add joy to our lives. 

They add beauty to the world.

Not because they have Down syndrome.

Not because they are special. 

Because they are our children. 

Because they are unique individuals with their own likes and dislikes, quirks and personalities, hopes and dreams.  And that alone makes them beautiful.

So why ask, Can a person with Down syndrome be beautiful?  I first decided to do this post last year after someone found my blog after searching that very phrase.  And while the answer may seem so obvious to us now, I remember the days after Kamdyn was born, when I thought she would be ugly.  It doesn't surprise me that someone could search for that question, because two words, Down syndrome, suddenly changed everything I thought I knew about parenting and love and fairness and beauty.  I didn't know that people with Down syndrome could swim the English Channel, be a musician, sink a 3 point shot, get married, be an artist, a teacher act on a tv show and
 be beautiful.

But now I do. 

And now, over two years later, I can tell you that we are all miracles.  We are all unique, special creations of God.  We are all beautiful and Down syndrome doesn't change that. 

Without further ado.  Just some of the many beautiful people in the world, who happen to have Down syndrome. (Each child's name is above the picture, and I tried to link to all of the ones who have blogs.)


Kamdyn:  She loves to ride this little car down the side walk, while her big brother and sister ride their bikes. 

John Austin


Clay, aka Clay-bug




Schneouri


Ella

Lucas



Sam


















Anya


Dani


Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Jalanea


Jaidin


Lily


Jacob


Lucas


Manolo


Bryanna
bri in the chair

Luca


Julian


IMG_24372.jpg

Moxie


My handsome Henry!


Hailey


Here is my feisty 5 year old Kalleigh. She is definitely one head-strong little girl!


Moriah


Violette


Allison: 5 months she loves faces and can roll across the room. She doesn't like bells or mad voices, they make her pout. :)
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Cameran
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Braden


Jacsen
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Ellie
0906WMbench%2520ellie%2520favorite.jpg

Kai Christian; 3.5 SJS/TEN survivor


Peter Julian 5; adopted from a Ukrainian orphanage Dec 26th, 2011, brought home to Texas January 12, 2012


Emma


Lauren


Isaiah : Ray of Sunshine :)           


Isabella


Seth: loves to blow raspberries, get hugs from his sisters, jump sky-high on his jumperoo and taking a bath. Seth is the sweetest baby I know, and he melts hearts whenever he enters a room!

Annie

















Scarlett


Amira: She's not a diagnosis, she's herself. She's beautiful, funny, witty, stubborn, loving, intuitive, patient, observant, calculating, and smart. She already knows 20 signs, and she loves her big brother and dancing.






















Isabelle


Mia


















Sammi















Luke





















 
Aero is 17 months old and teaches me every single day what it means to love deeply, truly, honestly and without hesitation.
He loves music and bangs at his keyboard every morning upon rising. He also loves to practice percussion in the kitchen with pots, pans, spoons, lids...anything that makes a satisfying thunk!
Inline image 3

I'm going to finish off with a little Kamdyn book end.

Thank you so much to everyone who allowed me to share your beautiful children.  Feel free to pass this on, share it on Facebook, Twitter, Twitface, or whatever you are on. 

There were a few others who kindly offered for me to use their picture, but it was disabled on their blog.  If you want to send me one or put it in the BC thread, I can add it.

18 comments:

  1. They also inspire us. charlotte inspired me to write this. I had the great honour of performing it at a freinds wedding and she was there (It was a bit emotional). I Hope you like it. If you do please share.

    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLNj8sCqZHw>Almond Eyes</a>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, totally missed this! Beautiful, beautiful post! Perfect way to show how absolutely stunningly gorgeous our kids really are!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love this. Couldn't have been more perfectly written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Couldn't have been more perfectly written

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just love this. Couldn't have been more perfectly written.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! Thanks for including Isabelle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post with some seriously gorgeous kids!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Babies! Thanks for sharing these pictures, Parents.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my Goodness, She is getting so big and so smart riding her little bug. She is totally Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this turned out great!! thanks for doing this. i love it!! our children are beutiful!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are beautiful children. :)

    Thank you for helping me to start my day off with a smile...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Finally a person that puts some real work into a blog. I do like what you have done with the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. *Hugs* such beautiful children..Blessing to you and them and their families!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our children our beautiful inside and out:)

    ReplyDelete