Friday, October 26, 2012

Self feeding toddler with Down syndrome (part 2)

I wrote a post a few months back on the self feeding toddler with Down syndrome.  I figured I would add to it a little, because Kamdyn is so much better with the spoon and fork than she was when I wrote that.

First of all, let me just give my own little review of the utensils she has been using.  First, the scoop bowl:


The scoop part of the bowl has not hurt or helped Kamdyn at all.  The suction cup is nice, but you can get the suction cup part with a regular bowl.

And the bendable fork and spoon:

Same thing.  They're fine too.  Nothing to rave or complain about.  I haven't been using the bendable feature, because if she switches hands, I would have to take it away to bend it the other direction. 

I have actually liked the spoon in the video below best.  It's in the shape of an airplane.  It's easy for her to grasp, because its kind of big and chunky.  And it's short, so it's easy for her to turn her wrist and put the spoon into her mouth head-on. 

Don't ask me where I got it, though.  It was Justus' spoon, when he was a baby, and he just turned 16 a few weeks ago, so this spoon has been around for a long time. 
 
 
After the meal, it's always nice to teach some cleanliness and manners too:

2 comments:

  1. Kamdyn is rocking that spoon feeding. She is so clean about it too! I still have to strip Ellie down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, she does really, really good! I love how you can tell her to wipe her face and she listens, that was so cute :)

    ReplyDelete