When Kamdyn first started Early Intervention, and they were already warning me of "transition" and her going on to preschool, my response was, "There is no way she is going to preschool when she turns 3!" But as the time neared, and I learned things about my daughter, what motivates her, how she learns, and what I wanted for her, the idea of preschool seemed like more of a possibility. As a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom, it has been a difficult decision for me to send her, but in the end, I decided to go for it.
Kamdyn could have gone to the preschool that the county chooses and places kids with IEP's. They are all usually kids with IEP's, maybe one or two without. I visited 2 of them, and there was one that I liked, although it wasn't the one that they had planned to place Kamdyn. They were nice classes, nice teachers, and Kamdyn could have received all of her therapies (all is in the every other week OT, once a month PT, and weekly Speech) at school. They also have transportation available to and from preschool. It certainly would have been convenient.
After weighing the reasons that I wanted Kamdyn to go to preschool, we decided that in order to reach those goals, we wanted to send her to a typical preschool. Right now, Kamdyn is going to preschool two mornings a week at this preschool. Her PT and OT will go to the school, and she does walk-in speech at a church near our house.
Today was Kamdyn's first day.
I'm not going to lie, it was hard to take her. I actually did not cry today, but I did yesterday. Today, I just refused to think about the things that would make me cry, like the fact that Kamdyn has very little spoken language, and she can't tell me how her day was. She can't tell me if someone was mean to her, or if something bad happened. Her teachers don't know that when she says "key" she wants a cookie, or when she says "memo", she's saying Elmo. They can't read her body language or her face like I can. And no person (apart from God) in this entire world loves her like I (or her Daddy) do. I've seen every milestone, every accomplishment. (Ok, now I'm crying) I've cried over ones that she struggled with, and I have cheered and celebrated, and shed happy tears over every one she has met. And today, I gave someone else permission to experience that.
But it's not just that, I realized yesterday, as I was shedding some tears over the thought of her big day today. It's not just about going into preschool. It's about her entire life: how people will see her, treat her, value her, accept her. It's the thought that the day will come where a child will choose not to play with her, because she's "different" or a parent won't invite her to their child's birthday party, or someone will make fun of her. I can't completely protect her from heartache and hurt, and I know it wouldn't be healthy for her even if I could.
I know that today was good for us both. I need this extra push to remind me not to baby her, to let her grow up, and to expect her to do things that she is capable of. And Kamdyn is going to benefit from time with other kids her age. Kamdyn is a visual learner, and she is motivated by praise, and she loves to mimic. My hope for preschool is that it will foster more of a desire toward independence (potty training, y'all! We all know I need help) , push her to speak more and with more clarity, learn the typical preschool stuff (colors, shapes, numbers....) and of course, have fun and make friends.
Her book bag is from Pottery Barn. It's the smallest one you can get, but it still almost knocked her over when she wore it. It's the same book bag her big sister used when she went to preschool when I was pregnant with Kamdyn.
I picked out her outfit last night. I wanted her to wear something comfortable, yet cute, that she could easily climb in if they went out to the playground. So I chose this outfit (still a peanut in 18 month clothes). It's a good thing I put so much thought into it, because she pooped 15 minutes after I left, and they had to change her outfit to the spare in her bag. Haha.
I'm still not sure what my long-term plan is for Kamdyn's education. I'm not sure if I should go the public school route or homeschool. I'm ok with not knowing right now. I think that Kamdyn will show us when the time comes, and we are going to take it year-by-year.
This was right before I said goodbye. She wasn't clingy, and she didn't cry at all when I left. I think that's because she is used to us leaving her in the nursery at church. She would not say bye to me, though. I tried several times to get her to, but she wouldn't. She does the same thing when I drop her off at the nursery at church. I think it's her way of boycotting being left. I'm relieved that she didn't cry. That would have made it really hard.





Well, you had me in tears reading this. I SO understand your feelings, my little girl is 2 and some months, and I am already dreading that day, that is, if I can convince myself before then to do it. But a little voice inside tells me it is best for her. Thanks for sharing your story!
ReplyDeleteKamdyn is so darn cute! Grace actually started a 2-year old preschool through EI earlier this year and as nervous as I was sending a non-walker/non-talker to school, she loves it! And has burst developmentally so much since starting! We made a list of Grace's most common things she spontaneously communicates (signs/word approximations) for her teachers which has helped. The first few weeks or month I wasn't sure that they got her, or that they could see the potential that I see and her home EI therapists see, but they do. They just had to get to know her and see how she clicked. Kamdyn will do great!!
ReplyDeleteWow, off to preschool already, where did the time go!! This was beautiful to read, teared up a few times because I have many of the same thoughts and feelings when it comes to Russell and school. But I like what you said about being ok with not knowing right now. That is something I need to remind myself of...That I don't need to have Russell's life completely mapped out right now...And it's ok not to know.
ReplyDeleteLOVE the new header picture by the way!! Absolutely perfect :)
Thanks Jenny! And thanks for noticing the header. I finally did a new one.
DeleteI know exactly how you feel. I did this with Kristen, my daughter who is six with Down syndrome. Let me tell you that now Kristen is in kindergarten, without an aide, in a public school, and doing amazing. You start in the preschool setting up the expectations, not just for kindergarten really, but for life. She will fly...she will live up to what you expect...and it will be amazing. :) But, I know in the moment it is very tough on a mom who loves that precious soul so much and has to take a big leap of faith to let her baby fly! Whatever route you take in life with her, homeschool or public, it will be perfect for your family's path. Cherish the moments now...the accomplishment...the pride you have for that wonderful little girl of yours! The rest will fall into place perfectly...
ReplyDeleteThank you : )
DeleteThat backpack is as big as her! It is hard not to cry. I cried last year and I will probably cry again this year. It is hard especially because our kids are not able to tell us what happens at school and because the teachers/therapists will not understand our kids. Kamdyn is going to thrive and love school. I love your blog header btw.
ReplyDeleteLove the header! This post made me tear up. January is just around the corner and Ben might be starting preschool too!
ReplyDeletecute
ReplyDelete