Yesterday, I took our dog to the groomer. Since she is an Old English Sheep Dog, her hair can get pretty long, so periodic shavings are a necessity. On the way in, Madison and Austin were great. They held hands and walked through the parking lot and opened doors for me as a lugged a car seat and was dragged by a hairy 65 pound Old English Sheep Dog. How is that something that weighs so much less than me can completely over power me.
On the way out, the kids were so excited to have Ubu back, and Ubu was so excited to have us back, that I thought she would knock me over. It seemed like they all wanted to do a happy run. It was at that time that I wished I was a super hero: Octo-arm Mom. Then, I would have had enough hands to control the situation. The very kind groomer, timidly asked, "Do you need any help?" It was one of those questions you ask to try to be polite, hoping they will say no questions. "Oh, no. We'll be alright," I said, while screaming YES on the inside.
We did make it to the car safe and sound, and I felt a sense of accomplishment that I had conquered the situation. But it got me thinking about myself. The groomer certainly should not have left her post unattended to walk me out. She was very kind to offer. But how many times have I asked something that I shouldn't even ask. I should have initiative and go do it. More often than not, people are going to deny help. I should just be able to see the need, step up, and do it. I guess it's part of the idea of putting others before myself.
Trick or treat pictures to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment