Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Denied a Family

Imagine if you will, that you have just given birth to a sweet baby.  You carefully dress your new precious bundle in a new outift that you picked out.  You gently buckle the car seat, making sure that it is secure and snug for your baby.  But then, as you carry the seat holding your precious cargo toward the door, someone steps in front of you.  They say, "Maam, I am sorry, but you may not take this child home."

 "Well, why not?  I'm his mother.  I love him.  I want him, and he is ready to come home," you say.

 "You are being rejected, because he is “not socially adaptable” due to his “medical condition” and he is better off in an institution than in a home with a family.  You are a good family.  You would make good parents, but this child is not worthy of a home, because he has Down Syndrome. You should have another child and forget about this one, because he has Down Syndrome."

Are you as angry as me yet?  Do you have tears welling up as I do?  This is not just a story.  It happened in Russia.  As this family stood before a judge, waiting to hear that they could adopt their child, the judge said words very similar to those.  How does a mother leave her child, knowing she may never be able to see him or hold him again?  I do not know.  But with God all things are possible.  He holds the heart of the king in His hands.  He can change the heart of this judge.  Please pray for a miracle.  Pray that this family will be able to take their child home, and love him.   


No comments:

Post a Comment