Thursday, September 15, 2011

Why did God give Kamdyn Down syndrome?

Madison and I were talking today, when she brought up the subject of Down syndrome.  She first asked, "Will Kamdyn always have Down syndrome?"

I'm happy to answer a question like this, because I am glad that she feels comfortable to ask these questions.  She asked it in such a carefree, natural way as she bopped around the room in her 5 year old way.  So I answered, "Yes, Kamdyn will always have Down syndrome."

(This picture was taken in May.  Kamdyn's hair has grown so much over the summer.)

I waited to see where she was going to go with this line of questioning.  Usually the simplest answer will suffice, and if I go in a certain direction with it, it may be a completely different direction than what she had intended, and the lesson she could have learned is squashed by my "profound wisdom" (or so I thought). 

Madison recently noticed an adult at our church who has Down syndrome, so I think she is beginning to see what this phrase, "Down syndrome" means.

 Then, she asked me, "Why did God give Kamdyn Down syndrome?" 

At one time, this question would have terrified me, because I myself wondered WHY. 

So, what's the answer, you ask? 



For me, this question has a hundred answers, and yet one answer at the same time.  When I think of all the things that Kamdyn's existence has taught me over the last 16 months, I could go on and on.  These, of course are all things that Madison does not need to learn yet, because she is not nearly as selfish as I was when Kamdyn was born.  She is also not as influenced by the world, and it's concept of perfection at her innocent, young age.  In fact, I think that she may never have to learn many of the lessons that I had to learn, because she will see them first hand as she grows up.  She will, however,  have her own lessons to learn. 


But for me, this question of why, is answered by one simple word:  because.  Just because. 

Didn't you hate it when your parents said, "Because I said so" when you were a kid?  I know I hated it.  And while there are instances when it is profitable to explain the hows and whys of your instruction, there are also times, when "Because I said so" needs to be good enough.



So when Madison asked, "Why did God give Kamdyn Down syndrome?"  My answer was, "Because.  Because that is just how He made her.  He created Kamdyn with Down syndrome, the same way He created you with blonde hair and brown eyes."  It wasn't an accident or a mistake.  It is this simple fact that lifted my spirits after Kamdyn was born.  Kamdyn's diagnosis, Kamdyn having Down syndrome is not the end of the story.  It's only the introduction.  And it doesn't end there.  God is not done with her, just as He's not done with me.  The story is written, but has yet to be lived.  And we get to turn the pages each day and find out what will happen next.

3 comments:

  1. Hats Off to your spirit and belief in life, Teal315!
    Sometime I wonder why and how the earth moves.....it's because it houses people like YOU, storehouse of indomitable spirit, zest and optimism!!
    Keep up and keep updating your blog with growing-up info of Kamdyn. My best wishes to your little princess! May God give her power to enjoy this planet under your parenthood!
    -Sukomal Pal, India.

    ReplyDelete