It's tricky, because when I find myself irritated or hurt about something that was said or asked, after I think about it, I realize that if it hadn't been said or asked, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to educate or inform them. And as for the idiots out there, who say ignorant, hateful things, I have to not allow myself to care if they get it, because they don't want to get it. And as far as the well-meaning
It took holding Kamdyn in my arms for me to get it. It took me looking into Kamdyn's crystal blue eyes to understand what was so hurtful about the word retard. It took looking into Kamdyn's face to understand that that word takes away everything that she is: her spunky nature, her contagious smile, her heart-warming laugh, her funny faces, her love of cuddling, her intense love of french fries. That one word takes all that away. Every connotation that word encompasses is negative and devaluing.
It took having a baby with a heart defect to understand how foolish the statement, "All I want is a healthy baby" when I was pregnant. Really, all I wanted was MY baby, whoever that was meant to be, heart defect, Down syndrome, or not.
So rather than go into the guy who stared just a little too long in the line at McDonald's last week, the woman who asked if I would have "done something about it", if I had know Kamdyn had Down syndrome while I was pregnant, or anything else that has happened over the last 18 months, I decided to go a different route with this post.
And with all that said, what do I want people, the people in Kamdyn's life, "to get"?
I want you to get that when you watch Kamdyn do a sign, and you say how smart she is,
You make my heart soar.
When you look at her and tell her how beautiful she is or how cute she is,
You make my day.
And when you tell me how great a job I'm doing,
You help me feel like maybe I'm doing ok, even if 5 minutes later, I feel like I have no idea what in the world I'm doing.
And one day, when you bend down and ask her how she's doing, even if she doesn't answer back,
You are telling her (and me) that she matters.
These are the things that matter to me. These are the moments that brighten our day.




Awesome! It's so true, those little things do really matter don't they?
ReplyDeleteThanks for the signing/speech recommendations on my blog post. Excellent post btw and I love your blog header of Kamdyn. Ooh and the cow picture. So cute!
ReplyDeleteOh my word, Tricia. Now I'm crying. That was just beautiful. So perfect, poetic and true.
ReplyDeleteI cried while I was writing it lol.
ReplyDelete*love* perfect take on this post...I am sitting here struggling with it and wow you just nailed it. So can I make your day and tell you how amazing, beautiful and cute she is and that you are doing an awesome job with her? :)
ReplyDeleteLovely post, Tricia! (I could feel the tears!) I feel the same.
ReplyDeletePS Did you really think last week was easier?! Man, I struggled SO HARD over it!!
PS - I forgot - and I can't believe I forgot - to tell you how CUTE Kamydyn is!!!! Love the photos of her! xo
ReplyDeletePerfectly said! I'm all teared up now!
ReplyDelete