Thursday, April 19, 2012

Well, I had a bad day......

Usually I hesitate in writing a post like this, because I don't want anyone to think that I don't love my girl like crazy, because I do.  And I don't want anyone thinking that I walk around all day glum and gloomy, because Kamdyn has Down syndrome, because I don't.  Days like today actually make me realize that I worry little about Down syndrome anymore, because I hardly ever have days like this.  Sure, I think about Down syndrome. We are very involved in our local group.  I'm the activities coordinator.  I go on the Baby Center Down syndrome board.  I read here and there.  But it's all in a positive way. 

Last month, I had a dream that Kamdyn could talk.  It was almost-2-year-old talking, but it was talking.  Last week, I had a dream that she could walk.  Then I wake up, and I realize these things are not true.  But, at the time, they didn't make me sad.  I know that one day, Kamdyn will walk.  And I expect that one day, Kamdyn will hold a conversation with me.  And when I wake up from these types of dreams, and I go into Kamdyn's room and lift her from her bed, and she lays her head on my shoulder and pats her tiny hand on my back, that dream doesn't get a second thought. 

For whatever she can't do at this point, there are as many things that she can.  And at the end of the day, those are things that I remember.  Like the way she instinctively knows to be gentle with babies and carefully pats them on the head.  Or the way she knows to reach out to give someone a hug if they are crying.  She is empathetic.  And there's the way that when she hears everyone around her start to laugh, she busts out with this fake laugh that makes her sound like Woody Woodpecker.  At this young age, I can see that she has a kind heart, and she cares about people.  She is smart.  She is amazing.



This morning, Kamdyn had physical therapy.  Over the last several months, PT has definitely become her least favorite activity.  It's not just her therapist, because she resists any type of PT activity, no matter who attempts it.  She does better for me, but there are even time for me when she decides that she does not want to stand.  She resists standing when she cannot hold on to something right in front of her, and even then, she only wants to stand for every short periods before she cries, because she wants down.  She can cruise but doesn't do it much, because she's not standing for long periods.  And this morning during PT, she basically cried the whole time.  When I asked the therapist what we should do, she said, "Well, we can do whatever you want to do."  So do I push through with the PT, and possibly cause her to hate these activities more?  Or do I back off with PT all together, because she hates it and just wait until she does them on her own.  The fact that she's not nearly walking doesn't so much get to me for the fact that she can't do things other kids her age can do or that she needs to either be in a stroller or being carried for anything we do, which limits the interaction, stimulation, and experience she gets during any given event, or even the fact that I don't know anyone else who has a child who is her age that can't walk.  Writing those things down like this does bring a little pang, but what hurts even worse right now is that this is a reminder that there are certain things in life that will be harder for her.  It will take her longer, and she will have to work harder than anyone else.  That is the thought that causes my eyes to well and a hard pang in my heart.  And even though I know that 5 years down the road, when she is running all over the place, none of this matter, today it hurts.

We continued about our day today, and then at lunch time everyone came into the kitchen with me while I made lunch.  We were out of jelly, so I made peanut butter sandwiches, and I put some nutella on Kamdyn's.  A little calorie boost.  Across the counter was spread everything I needed:  plates, knife, bowls, spoons, a container of yogurt, bread, peanut butter, nutella, a container of peaches.  I made Kamdyn's sandwich first, because sister was ready to eat.  I handed her a bowl of yogurt and a spoon, and she smiled big as she fed herself.  But it didn't take long before she was screaming between every bite.  After a while, she threw the bowl on the floor.  We practiced handing the bowl to Mommy and not throwing, and then I gave her a couple of pieces of her sandwich.  She ate them, but the screaming continued.  I asked her what was the matter, but she can't tell me.  I told her to sign, and she rubbed her hand over her belly, signing "Please."  But "please" what?  I don't know.  I couldn't figure out what she wanted.  There are times when someone will say that it sounds like she said a word, but if I'm honest, I have to admit that I'm not convinced.  One day, Kamdyn was playing with a baby doll with one of her therapists, and the therapist said it sounded like she said "sit" to the baby.  I heard it too, and it did sound a little like it. But as I was writing the last paragraph, Kamdyn was crawling across the floor toward a toy and made the same sound.  Is she really saying "sit"?  Or is "si" just one of the sounds that she is saying right now.  And what does this all mean?  Does it mean anything that she's not really saying anything yet?  Does it mean there is something deeper that is preventing her from putting sounds together to form a word?  A fairly new skill that Kamdyn has figured out is how to shake her head no.  If I say, "Kamdyn, do want to go night-night?" She will shake her head back and forth, giving no doubts that the answer is "NO!"  But she cant' say the word "NO".  Do you know how badly I would love to hear my girl say the word "no"?   I don't care that most mothers hate it when their child learns the word, or that every toddler goes through a phase where all they do is say "no", even if they really mean yes.  Because the fact that they say "no" means that they can say the word "no", and I want that. 

For the most part, I can figure out what Kamdyn wants, and she is pretty good at communicating things, but I want to hear her speak.  And today, it hurts that she can't. 

So what do I do with all of this?  Well, I sit here and type it out and let some tears flow.  I pray for God to help me to have the grace to let go of the things that I cannot control.  Then, I get up from this old, hand-me-down, grey office chair, and I leave it behind.  Instead, I take with me the fact that I have way to much of an amazing life to be bogged down with negativity.  And there are far too many blessings to count to let anything steal away my joy.  Tomorrow is a new day.

17 comments:

  1. When Katie was about 4 months old I noticed that something wasn't quite right. I took her to her pediatrician and they said that she was fine. After a couple of weeks I decided to take her to a specialist, only to find out that she was completely blind in her left eye.... and always would be. I was devastated. I cried, and cried and cried some more. I would sit and cover one of my eyes and cry even more. I tried to imagine what it must be like for her to only be able to see with one eye. I wanted nothing mor than for her to be "normal". Like every other child I knew. Then, at some point, I began to realized how lucky Katie was to have vision in "one" eye. I now realize that her problem , disability, or what ever you want to call, not only bothers me more than her, it 'only' bothers me! She may have to work a little harder then others at somethings but she CAN do them. It may take her a little longer but she CAN do them. Katie has decided that she is going to be able to accomplish anything that she sets out to do. Kamdyn is such a remarkable little girl.. not that I need to tell you ..lol! All though it may sadden you at times that she may not have the same mile stones as most children her age, Kamdyn will have no problem getting there. It's just gonna be on her time! Kamdyn is such a delightful and happy little girl. Rest assure that her set backs are probably more dissappionting for you then her.
    You and your family are such a inspiration to me and many others. You have such a wonderful and positive outlook on life! Kamdyn is very fortunate to have the love and support from two wonderful parents! God bless
    xoxo
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. Thank you so much for saying that and sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe we all have moments of anxiety over what our children can't yet do. It is human. It also makes those small achievements so much more. I remember the day Gabriel started to walk. I remember when his sounds started to form words and down the road those words will form sentences. Each little step is a huge celebration because each little step is a challenge. Keep your head up and know that you are not alone. You will never be alone on this journey. We are all bound by a special extra chromosome. Your family grew greatly the day Kamdyn was conceived even if you didn't realize it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunetly these days are unavoidable - I still have one once in a while after 6 years. I kind of think of it like the price for the extra joy my girl gives me.
    About the PT - you might want to think about Aqua Therapy especially if she likes water. No giving up there unless you want to get your face wet and its amazing for core strength which is probably the reason she doesn't like to stand. We were in your exact position when Cate was 18 months old so we started Aqua on a specialist recommendation. At 22 months Cate was walking and we did Aqua for the next 3+ years she loved it so much. Feel free to email me if you want more info on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope today will be a better day! Sending love from NYC! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Lisa - even after nearly 6 years, I still have those moments. I know several children who did not walk until they were 3+, and I'll tell you, they started running with far more speed and confidence than Samantha, way before Samantha ever did. Accepting that things will happen, albeit much later, is always hard. Trying not to compare is even harder. Ugh. It gets me every time. But I will say, you definitely touched on a point that is SO amazing about our kids - empathy. It blows my mind. What beautiful hearts people with Ds have. And that's not a stereotype...I'm pretty sure it's true. I've always said it about Samantha. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear friend, these feelings are completely normal and no one will doubt your unrelenting love for sweet Kamdyn. These types of days are tough and from what I hear, they will hit us when we least expect it. I have these days too with Ellie. This lack of communication is incredibly frustrating. As for the walking, does she maybe need braces or sure-steps? There is also some tape ( I cannot remember what it is called) that can go across the stomach that helps with walking. Hang in there mama, Kamdyn will walk and will talk and most importantly, she knows that you love her unconditionally. {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all so much for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been following your blog for a while, and it's the first time that i wanted to wtite something, not because the older prosts were boring. It' s just because this post is so raw, but also so true, and in the same time it makes pretty obvious that you adore your little girl. I wish the best for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything you wrote in here has crossed my mind at one point or another with Russell. When people use to comfort me by saying Russell would walk and talk someday...I knew that, but that didn't take away the pain that one day wasn't now. I use to have dreams of Russell walking to me, and literally wake up with tears running down my cheeks...And all I can say is when the moment actually did happen, it was all the more sweeter because we waited so long for it.
    My advice with PT is to back off for a bit...She will do all these things in time and maybe a little break is what she needs.

    With the talking, I can say there are moments now that make me sad where I just wish Russell could communicate to me what he felt or needed. So I know how you feel... It can hurt your heart as a Mother trying to figure out what your child is trying to say. I guess all we can do is be patient.
    That's great Kamdyn shakes her head no for things...Russell isn't even doing that yet...And he can't say no either...Actually I'm happy about that cause once he can say it, I have a feeling we will hear it all to often! lol

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts and fears...It is good for other Mothers to know they are not alone out there in what they are feeling. And we all know you love your baby girl more than anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally understand. I feel bad worrying that Cora's missing out on the stimulation and inclusion that her lack of physical development keeps her from. But my sister just reminded me that really I am the only one who's sad about that. That she is not and that she's getting a lot of stimulation in other ways. So I get it. But I still understand why there are still those moments of sadness or frustration. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great posts. Words we all need to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hugs! I have one of these tough days once a month. Wish we lived closer so we could hold each other up when these tough days come!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't even remember how I tripped across your blog now, but this post resonates with me so much it took my breath away for a minute. I don't have a child with DS, but my youngest, who just turned two in March, is severely speech delayed (her speech therapist is currently halfway through running the childhood apraxia test with her, it's just too long for her to sit patiently through, but anyway) and I've had similar moments, more frequently than before over this past month, where we just can't seem to understand one another, and it IS heartbreaking. I haven't read too far back in your blog, I'm not sure if Kamdyn has any words yet--Leylie doesn't, but signing is going fairly decently--but I couldn't not comment to say you're not alone on having those rough days.

    Sorry, that was more of a novel than I intended! I'm going to add you to my blog reader now, with a thank you for posting this--you helped some random stranger out there on the internet to feel a little less alone on this. :) Hang in there, mama.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the comment, Brown Eyed Mama. Kamdyn said her first real word today, when she said "bye-bye". I cried : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just wanted to say how cute your little girl is. Just so beautiful. You are clearly doing a great job - taking an immensely thoughtful and nurturing approach to Kamdyn's development. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete