That was really my first experience in being introduced to inclusion. I believe in inclusion, and I try to live by the principle of it. Kamdyn is an equal part of our family, and she participates in all of the activities that we do. She is not school aged, and she doesn't go to day care, but I decided a while back to keep her with her age group in our church's nursery. Even though she is clearly behind the other kids developmentally, I feel like it's important to keep her with those kids, so that they can form friendships, and hopefully it will also be an encouragement to her development.
Sometimes it feels, however, like this matter of inclusion is being placed into too much of a restrictive box.
This idea that inclusion equals my child will be in a typical classroom. Period. And that's it.
But I think that is only part of it. Some children with Down syndrome thrive in a typical classroom and some do not. So is it a failure for that child who is not in the typical classroom? I think not. Each child's best interest has to be taken into account, and that is what matters most.
I think inclusion is a principle that we, as parents, can implement into our lives in whatever setting they are in. For some that will be in the classroom, others church, or sports, or other community activities and, of course, our homes.
And we're taking inclusion onto the homeschool front:
Outside of our inner circle, I have not found a lot of support concerning homeschooling. There are so many stigmas to it, most that are untrue. But when it comes to homeschooling your child with special needs, I am finding the support to be even less. I am not going to say 100% that Kamdyn will be homeschooled, because it may not be the best thing for her. But it is my goal to homeschool her just as I am with my other children.
Ok, so enough about that. Let's move on to bigger, stinkier things.
Madison decided a couple of months ago that she wants to be a farmer, have lots of babies and take care of the animals.
I thought that after this field trip, complete with spontaneously urinating cows and putrid smells, she would jump ship on that idea. But she's holding strong. She wants to be a farmer.
Are you looking for an activity to interest a four year old boy? Well, look no further. Because a peeing cow is the funniest thing in the world to a four year old boy. Trust me.
Guess what they are talking about? You guessed it. Peeing cows.
She's got the touch:
Kamdyn surprised me when she reached out to touch this calf. She is usually timid and scared around animals, probably thanks to our big, hairy, goof-ball Old English Sheepdog.

















Good Morning to you from Sunny England (For a change).
ReplyDeleteThe dilema you are facing is one we faced a few years ago, although slightly different as we faced mainstream v school for children with learning needs. Charlotte (14 now) started going to mainstream school and had inclusion very much in mind. It was not noticiable at first but as the kids grew older in order to include her they started to exclude her. Taking her out the class so that they could let the kids concentrate on tasks that they would be tested on and she had no hope of achieving, defeatist maybe but realistic. I also noticed that after appointments she would be very upset to go back to school.
About 5 years ago we decided to take her out of mainstream and into a school for kids with learning needs. At first I was reluctant, probably based on my own perseption of "special" schools. However I can honestly say it was the best thing we ever did for. She has grown in confidence and speach and general well being. She loves going and can't wait for Mondays. Although being a teenager that has changed somewhat. She has made many wonderful friends. She is longer bottom of the class and singled out (not delibrately)
I hope this in someway gives you another angle and hope that you will find the best fit for you all.
Thank you for your comment. It sounds like a situation where the typical classroom was not what was best, and I'm glad it all worked out so,well.
ReplyDeleteFirst off how awesome that you got to go to that Imagine the Possibilities conference! It's sad that there wasn't a big enough response for it to go elsewhere! I would LOVE to go to something like that.
ReplyDeleteAnd the inclusion thing...I think to many of us feel we have to choose our kids being in a typical classroom setting...
I know when it comes to Russell going off to school I am going to do whats best for HIM, no one else. And if that means he is not in the typical classroom setting but in the SN room, then that's what I am going for. Where ever he thrives the most, wherever he learns the best, that's what we are going to do. I am not on a mission to prove anything to anyone as far as Russell's capabilities go.
Each of our kids are different, for some being in a typical classroom will be best, for others it won't be a good fit.
Excellent post!
Oh, and I love that Madison wants to be a Farmer :)
Peeing cows! Love it!
ReplyDeleteInclusion seems to be such a touchy subject. . . at least in our local DS Chapter. Schools serves many purposed-academic, social, and life lessons. I do not know what will occur once Ellie reaches school age, but I do hope that she is placed in the best environment for her to thrive. At this point, I do think some inclusion would be beneficial from a social standpoint, but I also want her to master academics to the best of her ability. If that means pulling her out, then so be it. Right now, I have her in a playgroup that is with children of her chronological age. I think it helps her to see what other kids her age are doing. Also, these children seem to love being around Ellie. Anyway, just my thoughts.
El Matador, I appreciate your insightful comment as well!
Charlotte went to typical playgroups and schooling up to about five years ago. It really helped her development but was also an advantage to the other kids in her class and year and taught them that not everyone is the same.
ReplyDeleteWe were informed of an incident at the school where some kid had pushed Charlotte over (probably by accident). The problem was the rest of her class rounded on the individual and he had to be removed. The kids really stuck up for her and were very sad to see her leave.
She gained alot from mainstream enviroment but like I say there may come a point where it no longer works.
That makes a lot of sense. And I am considering sending Kamdyn to our district's LIU class for one or two days a week when she turns 3 for that very reason. I think it may be good for her in those early years to learn the social skills and hopefully help with her speech also. In our district, the preschool class is made up of some kids with disabilities and some typical kids.
ReplyDeleteI've considered homeschooling Colin and Ben. And although I'm leaning towards public schooling, I find incredible value in homeschooling.
ReplyDeleteI would love for Ben to be fully included in his classroom but it is too soon to know if that will be the best scenario for him. I want what is best for him and if that does not mean inclusion I will be okay with that.