Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Don't tell me it's because she has Down syndrome.

How many times have I heard the statement, "Kids with Down's have fill in the blank."  Or "It's common for kids with Down syndrome to have fill in the blank."

More times than I can even count.  And you know what?  I'm sick of hearing it.  It's not a good reason for me anymore.  I want more.

Why did Kamdyn have constipation?

Because she has Down syndrome.

Nope, not buying it.

Because she has low muscle tone.  Ok, I'll take it.  That's a reason.

Why has Kamdyn had pneumonia twice?

Because kids with Down syndrome get sick a lot.

Not acceptable.

Because she is aspirating.  Maybe an immune deficiency.

Let's figure it out.

Why does Kamdyn have sleep apnea?

Because she has Down syndrome.

I want better than that.

Are her adenoids obstructing her airway?  Is there something else?  That is a reason.

I know that there are issues that are common with our kids.  30% have this, 50% have that, but "because she has Down syndrome" is not a reason.  It's not an explanation.  I know she has Down syndrome.  That's not what I need to know.  What I need to know is, why is she getting pneumonia or croup?  What is causing her to have sleep apnea?  What is causing her to have hearing loss?

In the 2 1/2 years since Kamdyn was born, today was the first day "the child with Down syndrome" wasn't treated.  Kamdyn was treated.  Kamdyn, who has her own issues, and these issues have an explanation behind them that we are going to work to find out.  I cannot even tell you how good that feels. 

And after today, I know that I am no longer willing to accept less. 

This post is part of a blog hop.  Hop on here.





8 comments:

  1. Yes! Don't ever accept that as an answer. We had many doctors tell us that Lila was always sick because she had Down Syndrome. Unacceptable. Thankfully I pressed on and found out she had a serious immune deficiency! I hate that answer. It's a copout in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post...lol...Love the "why did she have constipation", haha...I hate how EVERY thing that happens to Russell some how winds it's way back to Ds also, it's ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post...lol...Love the "why did she have constipation", haha...I hate how EVERY thing that happens to Russell some how winds it's way back to Ds also, it's ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. It is so true. You should stop by and link it up to the hop... because everybody should (especially doctors) should read it!

    http://theunknowncontributor.blogspot.com/2012/10/are-you-aware.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true! Once iBook my son to a new Pediatrician. I took him because I was concerned he had the flu, I explained this to the Doctor and how my son was rarely sick etc we needed a new Dr etc. he asked me had I taken him to a Developmental Pediatrician? No but I will if you think I should but today I just want to know if he has the flu....needless to say it didn't go well and I never went back. Some people can't see past the face.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always like to have a read about such things, my blog is related if you want to have a look round it please feel free. I have added yours to my bookmarks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get so frustrated hearing "it's the Down syndrome" statement!! I feel exactly the same way as you......give me something else! I'm so glad that Kamdyn was treated for the beautiful, little girl that she is ..... not for the Down syndrome!

    ReplyDelete