Wednesday, December 12, 2012

When I kiss you at night

 When the sun has set and the end of the day is upon us,

I hold Kamdyn in my arms.

I cradle her close to my heart, while she nudges her cheek as close to my body as she can. 

With her balled up fist pressed agains her tiny mouth, she sucks her thumb.

In that moment, I look into her eyes,

and I kiss her forehead.

And as I lay her down, my mind darts to a different place.  A place that is thousands of miles away.  A place I shudder to think of.

A place where children lay, probably soaked in their own urine and feces.

A place where frail bodies are left.  Neglected.  Scorned.

Why?

Because she has Down syndrome.



This is Lilly.  She has been on my heart lately. 

And when I kiss Kamdyn at night and lay her down, my mind flits to Lilly's face, and I wonder if anyone has ever kissed her forehead. 

Probably not.

When I pull Kamdyn's blanket over her and rub her back, I wonder if anyone has ever given a caring touch to Lilly's skin.

I don't know.

When I look at her face, I see a child waiting for someone to love her.  I see a little girl with potential if only someone would believe in her.  If someone could look past a frail, tiny body and see who she is and what she is capable of and how that would change her entire world, her entire life.

Lilly has over $10,000 available toward her adoption. Someone, please, scoop her up. 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. I often think of all those precious children overseas waiting for families also. Praying for Lilly.

    ReplyDelete