Friday, April 12, 2013

I'm not alone. It just feels that way.

Don't forget to enter for Kamdyn's birthday giveaway HERE
******************************************************************************

It's been a busy couple of weeks, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't have my moments of feeling overwhelmed and anxious. 

Austin swallowed a quarter several weeks ago.  I've only every called 911 twice, and that was one.  It was a scary few seconds when he was choking, but thankfully, he was able to swallow it.  Once it was down, the waiting and poo checking began.  We checked and waited, checked and waited, did x-rays, checked and waited some more.  No quarter.  After the 3rd x-ray, the pediatrician sent us to the pediatric surgeon.  Even though Austin is 5 and knows better than put coins in his mouth, I'm his mom, and I can't help but blame myself.  At the pediatric surgeon, they did another x-ray, and the quarter was gone.  That was a big relief.

Kamdyn has her sleep study coming up, and I want so badly for her apnea to be resolved.  There are worse things in the world, but I really, really, really do not want her to need another surgery.  And if she still has apnea, the ENT said she may need surgery to correct her laryngomalacia. 

As far as I go, I'm going to go out on a limb here and admit that I've been having a really hard time with anxiety for a while now.  I was on medicine for a while, but I weaned myself off when I found out I was pregnant.  The day they called about sending Austin to the pediatric surgeon, I had a panic attack.  If you've never had one, they stink.  You can't breathe, your chest is tight.  It sucks. 

This is my 4th time being pregnant, and while I've always enjoyed being pregnant, I'm having a harder time with this one.  When I first found out I was pregnant, I spent weeks just waiting to lose the pregnancy but praying I wouldn't.  I'm 19 weeks now, so it's unlikely that would happen now, but I'm still waiting for the other ball to drop.  To write it down sounds so silly, but I'm waiting for some life threatening diagnosis, a serious heart defect, something.  Next week, I'm going to maternal-fetal medicine, and they'll do an in depth ultrasound, and I'm hoping that will set my fears at ease. 

And then there's the loneliness.  Ever since Kamdyn had her surgery a couple of months ago, I've been fighting this feeling of loneliness.  I know these anxieties aren't normal, and that makes me feel alone. That feeling of waiting for the other ball to drop makes me feel alone.  A sleep study coming up that will determine whether surgery is needed or not makes me feel alone.  Knowing exactly what that loneliness is: depression.  It makes me feel alone.  Right after Kamdyn's T&A, I didn't want to go anywhere, and I didn't want to see anyone.  I'm past that now, and I'm back to doing our regular routine, feeling motivated, and ok with being around people, but the loneliness is still there.  I'm trying to remind myself of the blessing I have in my family, the support I have in Brad and my mom, and rely more on God.

It appears that God may be trying to teach me this lesson, to rely more on Him.  Because not too long ago, I found out that someone who I thought was our friend has been saying some pretty hurtful things behind our backs.  Things along the lines of me not being a good mom, not parenting my children the right way, and letting my daughter's special needs take too much of my time away from the other kids.

And the loneliness compounds.

If you're a special needs mom, you know that last one about Kamdyn's special needs taking too much of my time is like a knife to the heart.  As a special needs mom, it's my worst fear.  But, like I said, I think God has a lesson here.  I know in my heart of hearts that I am doing the best I can.  I love my kids.  I'm not perfect, and I fail.  Everyday.  I fail.  But I'm doing my best and God knows.  And I believe that He will make up where I am lacking.  He will fill in where I'm missing the mark.  And God will bless the intentions of my heart, that only He knows.  And that has to be good enough.  I have to rest in that.  "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in thee." 

And the other lesson is to be more careful about the things I say and how I judge.  We all judge.  We all say things we shouldn't, and I'm no different.  Knowing firsthand how it feels to have someone saying hurtful things about me is a good reminder to be more careful about the things I say. 

So that's where I'm at right now.  With no pictures and my whining, I doubt many people will care to read this post, but I wanted to write it down anyway.  I know I'll get past this, and it will be a good reminder to look back on one day and see these lessons that God is teaching me and His grace that gets me through.

15 comments:

  1. I understand that feeling of loneliness... Your post, without pictures and "wonderful" stories, is honest, gut-checking, good!
    blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't know me... I live halfway around the world from you and normally never comment. But what you wrote in this post is so moving that I had to reach out and tell you that people care... I care. You really did capture the anguish of anxiety in this post... I know many who read your words will relate to what you feel, so in a way we're all alone in this *together*. It's a small comfort but my thoughts are with you today. Hugs to you and your little ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate you saying that Hannah. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. There are days I feel alone. I'm so sorry, you haven't been able to move out of it. I'd love to give you a giant hug and tell you it will be okay! You are definitely not alone in waiting for the other shoe to drop. I wait in fear for it almost every day. Every time things are going good with the kids' health, finances, home repairs, etc....I wait for it because I know it is just around the corner. I hope things are looking up for you soon. I love all of the pics you send of the kids and homeschooling. I admire you...my children listen better from their teachers and coaches than they do me :-) I'm so sorry you were betrayed by a friend. It is the worst feeling in the world (without the person saying hurtful things about Kamdyn). Sending happy thoughts and vibes a state over :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do think it's very normal to feel alone at times - a good time to lean on God. And don't you worry one bit about people's hurtful comments. We live in a sinful world, and hurtful comments happen. We need to be accountable to God - not to those who make hurtful comments. Hope you enjoy tomorrow - God made that day to spend time with Him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this post and my immediate thought was 'oh I'm not having that!' I'm outraged that other people could be so hurtful to someone who is clearly a very loving, caring mother to all of her children. People like that are either jealous or insecure. They are not worth a second of your thoughts. Try not to allow them into your heart and your life is all I can say to that.

    I hope you find happier, less anxious days ahead and I will be thinking of you in the coming week - as I'm sure a great many other people will, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my!! i am here with you and Maddie and her sleep apnea...and the surgeries and dealing with our other kiddos...the loneliness is there because i think sometimes we are in a members only club...that when people ask they really do not want to know...but we need an outlet...i know that is why i blog...i have to just get out...and usually i can move on...thinking about you and sending good vibes to you and your family..smiles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hugs. You are not alone!

    As far as our kids with special needs taking up more time...so what? Each child is different and requires a different amount of attention, care, etc. what matters is that each child receives and feels the same amount of love. Don't let the naysayers get to you because they are not in your shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Press on mama! I am sure you are doing a great job. And being a special needs parent is no small task. Most people have NO idea. I am only recently gaining some insight because a new and now good friend has a special needs son (and three other children) and there are so many things . . . medicines, sleep issues, behavioral issues, etc. Thanks for your honesty. I believe that is one key to peace and working through the anxiety as you reach out to your community! I think it is pretty cheesey when people say "hugs" across the internet but . . . hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you have more support than you know. I desk with anxiety a lot too. it's so easy to feel alone especially I think, when the lives of others are on you. I am glad that you shared this part if you.Hopefully the feedback will make you feel less alone. hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recognize the feelings you describe here: anxiety and that feeling of loneliness. Sounds like you have a lot to deal with at the moment, on top of being pregnant. I have followed your blog for quite a while now, and although I don't know you in person, I think you're an amazing mom! Take some time for yourself, to relax and do something you enjoy. (Yeah, I know, easier said than done!)
    I also appreciate your thoughts on relying more on God. I also have had to remind myself to do that more lately, when things seem too overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so not alone Tricia! If you ever, ever need some one on one support, we are just over the PA border in Ohio - I'm guessing maybe 4-5 hours from you. Maybe we could meet halfway someday and have a play date. Or even better, coffee/lunch without kids:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Big ((hugs)) and prayers for you Tricia. Thanks also for your candid honesty, I now know how better to pray for you dear friend. I also feel lonely at times and as if the other "shoe" is going to drop, it's attack through and through...I'm glad that you're finding comfort in the verse from Isaiah, "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in thee." For the Lord, the Lord is the ROCK eternal! I'm sooo looking forward to seeing you on Saturday -- yea! Love to you and please let me know if I may help in any way? Would love to meet you on a Monday or Friday, we're more open on those days, just let me know (and preschool will be finished in a few weeks -- yea!)! Love to you and yours!

    Anna T

    ReplyDelete