Making time to sit down and write lately has proven to be pretty challenging. During the day, I'm on constant call, and of course, as soon as I sit down to do anything, I am DESPERATELY needed. Immediately. It can't wait. And at night, I feed the baby, and all I want to do is go to bed, since I know I'll be up throughout the night.
So, it's doubtful I'll get around to posting every day, but I'd like to try to get some in. I know it's pretty much all been said before, but I thought I'd start with a series on "things not to say" to a new parent who gets a Down syndrome diagnosis for their baby.
Don't say:
"He/She doesn't look like they have Down syndrome."
This may be meant as a compliment or something to try to make that new parent feel better. But, really, think about what you're saying for a second. First of all, I guarantee that baby DOES look like he/she has Down syndrome, because, well, they do have Down syndrome. And there's nothing wrong with that. So saying they don't isn't really a compliment. And secondly, it's almost implying there would be something wrong with them looking like they have Down syndrome. So instead, just say, "She is so beautiful." "He is absolutely adorable." Simple as that.

Yes!
ReplyDeleteExactly! That is a good one to start with. Now that Bear is older, I don't really hear it anymore but we got it a lot when she was a baby. Great pic of Miss Kamdyn. . . I especially love the tutu and shoes.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree. I have a friend who said this all the time. While I really think she was just stating it innocently, it did bother me. I look forward to more, Tricia!
ReplyDeleteSo true! We got it a lot when Lo was little and while I appreciated that people were trying to be nice, she definitely DID appear to have Down syndrome!
ReplyDeleteYes! I never take it as a compliment when people have said it to us. Just tell me he's cute and leave it at that!
ReplyDelete