Friday, August 20, 2010

This isn't the chess club

I have been on a mission lately to find more things that we can do at home, together, just enjoying each other and whatever is nearby.

So that makes for more playing in the front yard.

Chasing butterflies


And this is what you do when you are sent in to sit in time out, because you went past the corner on your little car.




We went to our first Down Syndrome group activity.  It turns out it is on the weekend that Brad went away.  Being a little crazy, I decided to take the kids by myself.  A little after 5:00, we hopped in the car and headed off to do some bowling.  Madison and Austin were so excited.  It took Austin the whole day to figure out how to say bowling. He kept calling it baseball, and then he would say, "I can't say it." 
As we made the 30 minute drive, I was growing more and more anxious.  I wasn't sure what to expect or how seeing other children with Down Syndrome would affect me.  I kept thinking, We don't have to do this.  We could turn around and find something else to do.  But, no.  I knew I needed to press on.  There is a great feeling in facing your fears.  In stepping out of your comfort zone.  Digging deep down into the depths of yourself and pulling from your inner strength, the strength that only God can give to face things that you never thought you could, and conquer that fear. 
I would like to say that I walked in the doors with fearlessness and charisma.  But if I'm honest, I'd say I timidly ambled through the doors toting a car seat and leading two little excited bowlers.  After the bowling commenced, I started to realize that this really wasn't a big deal.  I've never been one to be a part of a group or a club.  I was never in the drama club, or the chess club, or the Spanish club or any other.  My mom even had to force me to join the soccer team in high school, and I loved soccer.  But this isn't the chess club.  It's a group of people, families, all joined by one common factor- a child with Down syndrome.  But in that bowling alley, Down syndrome didn't matter.  It was a bunch of kids having a good time.  Everybody was happy.  Everybody was having a good time.  I didn't ask to be a part of this group.  I didn't choose it, but God chose it for us.  So what better way to be a part of something.  Knowing that there is a perfect plan behind it. 

My little bowlers had a great time.







Kamdyn spent the whole time like this:

I'm glad that I faced my fear, and went to our first meeting.  We are all just parents, striving to love our kids and give them the most beautiful life we can.

2 comments:

  1. I love all of the photos Tricia. Reading your blog is like a visit with you. Thank you for doing this. You have given me inspiration to get more involved with my children again - doing the fun things - making memories! Thank you, friend. Keep the posts coming, please.
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'm glad you like it. You're always an inspiration to me so it's nice to return the favor.

    ReplyDelete