I took the kids to the lake last week. Of course, my fearless, daring Austin splashed into the water and ended up soaked. But, he loved it. My cautious Madison, however, slowly shuffled her feet in, but wouldn't dare get far enough to get in.
Even though I didn't feel that great when I woke up, it didn't hit me until we got to the lake. By the time we got home, I was feeling miserable. I thought I had the flu since I was cold all over, but burning up so hot that I could feel the heat coming from my eyes. I spent the rest of the night laying on the couch and watching Cinderella as many times as the kids would sit and watch it. From time to time, Madison would ask me if I was sick, and she would softly say, "I hope you feel better, Mommy." Which was followed by, "I'm sick too. Me and Mommy are sick." Like being sick is some kind of club that everyone wants to be in. At one point, after asking if I was ok, Madison told Austin that they should rub Mommy, because that would make me feel better. So Austin rubbed my head, while Madison rubbed my back. I love seeing them be gentle and nurturing. By the next day, all was well, and I was back to normal. Good thing too, because Moms really can't afford to be sick. Brad was wonderful when he got home, but it was good to be back.
Still we spent the next day inside just in case. We made the most of it with a baking class. They scooped, measured, and stirred.
I do not particularly like to clean up messes. I mean, who does? Despite the mess of flour, seeing their faces so intense and proud to be making something was worth the mess. And flour does clean up pretty easy.
This is the difference between Austin making cookies,
and Madison making cookies. The feet tell no lie.
They proudly ate their creation for the rest of the night, even though they tasted like we had misread and used about half of the sugar that we should have. But who cares. Then I didn't feel so bad about letting them have a bunch, because I knew they weren't full of sugar.
No comments:
Post a Comment