So I have to admit that I still secretly hate a little on people who have these "perfect", typically developing babies. Not that I'm really angry or not happy for them. It's more that I just know that they really don't know how blessed they are. It's so easy to take that for granted. To just assume that's the way it will be. Brad jokingly said to me the other day, "Don't you just want to go over to those babies, and say, Stop holding your head up, you show off." He was joking, of course. But those thoughts of
why were we chosen for this journey, why does our baby have to struggle come into my mind. You just have a dream for your kids: playing sports, succeeding at school, going to college, getting married, having babies or a job they love.
Kamdyn will do most of those things, but it will be in a different way, and it will probably take her a little longer. Its like that poem about planning a trip to Italy for months, only to realize that you've ended up in Holland instead. Holland is beautiful, but it's not Italy.
What brings me back from my straying thoughts is the fact that I have no idea what any of my children will do or become. They are free to make their own choices in life and follow whatever path God has for them. All I can do right now is look at what
Kamdyn can do. And she is developing amazingly.
It is wonderful to see how much Madison and Austin love her too. They are thrilled with every accomplishment: rolling, holding her head up, smiling. They are proud big sister and brother.
I was always excited to see my kids reach those developmental milestones, but now that we are working toward each one, they are a little sweeter. We cheer and clap, and inside a sigh of relief that she did it.
And when I look at her, she is perfect. And she has brought so much love to this family and to our hearts.
More on a lighter note to come.
I stumbled across your blog and it has really hit home with me because my dear friend's little sister, Amy, has high functioning down syndrome and alopecia. She is so sweet and funny that I love being around her. I just wanted to let you know, that while the expectations you had about "going to college, playing sports, and getting married" might not all be in Kamdyn's future, there are TONS of sports for down's kids. As of right now, Amy is in cheerleading and basketball. She loves it and always calls me on the phone and asks me to come watch her.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds to me like you've gotten to that point of actually understanding what down's is and that's fantastic. I'm sure Kamdyn will grow to achieve so many great and wonderful things, even if that is just brightening the lives of others!
Thanks for the kind words. She is amazing, and I know she will only grow to be even more so. Downs kids can have weak vertebrae in their neck that can prohibit them from being involved in some sports. They do testing for that when they are older. But, you're right, there are still lots of things she can do either way: swim, cheerleading, ballet. I was a soccer girl growing up, but we'll see. Thanks again.
ReplyDelete