Monday, August 20, 2012

Down syndrome and toys: 0-2 years

0-6 months:
  • Therapy ball:

Any big ball will do:  yoga ball, Pilate's ball, therapy ball, big bouncy ball (from the toy store).  The ball is used to do exercises that increase core strength by doing "sit ups" or just tummy time on the ball to strengthen the neck muscles.  Kamdyn is 2 now, and we just started using the ball again for core strength again.  This was our main therapy tool for the first 6 months, but we continued to use it even after that.

  • Bright, eye catching rattles/baby toys


These are used in correlation with the therapy ball to keep the baby interested in something else other than what they are doing on the ball.  This baby doll was a favorite of Kamdyn's, but we had several others we used, as well.  We would also sit the baby up, and put Kamdyn in a sitting position, face to face with the baby, to work on unassisted sitting.

6 months - 1 year:

  • Cause and effect toys:

80-061800_prod
We had this Vtech Discovery Farm toy. (picture from vtechkids.com)  We placed Kamdyn in a sitting position, while she played with this toy.  We started out supporting her whole upper body, eventually moving down to her back, and finally just her hips as her stability increased.  Her core strength was challenged, and she learned that the toy would make sounds if she pushed a button, cause and effect.


Same idea with this drum.  Cause and effect, while she could be held in a sitting position to play.


There are lots of variations of this push toy above. 
This toy is easy to manipulate, so it gives them the independence of not needing hand over hand help, and they get the cause and affect while they play.
  • Container play:




I think back to each of my children and remember the phase where they would dump out a container of toys, and then sit and happily put each toy back in.  Oh, that it would only be that easy now.  Putting "IN" is an important developmental milestone.  To work on this skill, we again put Kamdyn in a sitting position, while we sat behind her, and used hand-over-hand to put the object into the container.  And before you know it, they are doing it on their own!



Toys like these shape sorters are nice, because the lid can be opened for when the baby is learning to put "in".  As the child grows, you can move on to the shape sorting.  The cookie jar above was a favorite for a while.


These buckets are another toy that has grown with Kamdyn.  She started out putting the little shapes into the open container.  As she has grown, we work on stacking the buckets and using the shape sorter.



1-2 years:

  • Flashcards:

I love these DK touch and feel flashcards.  At first, I used them to teach Kamdyn signs and vocabulary.  I would show her the card, tell her what the picture is, sign it, use hand-over-hand to have her sign it. 

Then, I would put two cards down and ask her to pick a certain one.




At the NDSC convention this year, I attended the "Teaching Kids with Ds to Read" session.  The presenter stressed teaching vocabulary to children when they are one and two.  Then, at 3, when you begin reading skills, they will have a vocabulary that is able to understand the written word better.  That way, when they read the word "bike", they will know what it is and what they do with it.
  • Puzzles:



The big knob Melissa and Doug puzzles are perfect for little hands, and then you can move on to smaller knobs.
  • Container play:


Still container play, but requires more refined fine motor skills.


This is where those shape sorters also come in handy.
  • Stacking:

We worked on stacking long before Kamdyn was able to stack on her own.  We used hand-over-hand, at first, then we would let her do it, only helping as needed.  Now, at 2, she can stack this toy on her own.




We also have the small wooden blocks that are good for stacking.  Start out holding the blocks still as the child places the block on top.  We want our kids to feel successful and feel motivated to keep going and try again.  What better motivation that to feel success.

2 years:
  • Imaginative play:

Kamdyn's PopPop bought her this toy for Christmas, because Madison said she wanted it for her.  I think it was a good choice.  She can put the objects into the basket, match with the basic shape sorter, or pretend to have a picnic.


Little People barn, house, and castle:
The barn is my favorite.

Baby dolls:

  • Colors and matching:


Paint cards: 


I did a post about Teaching Colors you can check out, as well.

****************************************************************************


Outdoor play:

Swing, swing, swing............................................
It's good for the vestibular system

Push toys:





Rides, people.  Put your kid on some rides.  Just kidding. But Kamdyn likes it.






Books:
These books are full of different textures.  We would rub Kamdyn's hands and feet on them.


I look for books with real objects, animals, and people, instead of cartoons.  I think she learns better that way.



But I do love Big Red Barn, so I guess I do make exceptions if the book is cute enough.


I also made Kamdyn her own book to teach the parts of the body:



Those are just some of our favorites in case anyone is looking for ideas for your little one. 

In the past, I have also done:

a birthday wish list
Christmas presents post

You can also take a look at:
2010 gift guide
2011 gift guide
and a check list on how to pick a toy for your child
(These last three were done by someone who knows a lot more about what they're talking about than I do, so take a look)

6 comments:

  1. Love the videos of Kamdyn! I want to get Emma some of these toys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I am laughing because Ellie has used a lot of the same toys. The picnic basket is still a big hit--so much so that she insists on eating her crackers off of the plates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I definitely got some new ideas of things to do with Madi. I hope you have a chance to share more of the info you learned about teaching to read....VERY interested in what ideas they said to o!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great post, Tricia! Santa got some good ideas for Ben:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is all so helpful, thank you. And I've got to say that Kamdyn is SO stinkin' cute!!

    ReplyDelete